Due to the growth and success of the organization, we are aiming to expand our board in 2022-23 to 6 member positions and one business leader from the community. We have implemented the option of partnering with business leaders in the capacity of a non-voting ex-officio position(s) to provide expert level services that enhance the professionalism of this non-profit.
We wish to thank and recognize the past board members who helped to launch this organization in 2019.
Left to right: Joe Fussell, President Mike Morales, Vice-President Darrell Bourlier, Business Leader Ryan Curry, Secretary Derek Bartolotta, Treasurer
Questions on the board or leadership, please contact Joe Fussell
I have been honored to be part of founding this association and to see the rewarding process that has grown it into a benevolent association that can truly respond to calls for assistance to help for our brothers and sisters in blue who become in dire need of assistance and/or financial support. My passion to establish an organization here in North Port that supports its first responders and civilian staff arose after I experienced my own family tragedy. My daughter passed away while I was in law enforcement in another state, and police associations surrounded my family with love and compassion. As a young father I was not prepared to negotiate through such a tragic event. Had it not been for the assistance the police associations provided, the journey of healing would have been exponentially more difficult. My personal desire was and remains to provide a resource that can help others that experience such difficult times.
The core method of providing a diverse and personal resource to the members of the North Port Police Officers Association is through fundraising efforts. We have been extremely pleased to have raised over $50,000 to date from our organization's inception in 2019 supporting unnamed families and individuals who have struggled with major health issues and financial crisis such as untenable hospital expenses for their loved ones right here within our NPPD family.
Since inception, our founding team of board members has established the following for our association:
- Helped numerous police officers and civilian staff through financial and logistical support during a variety of life crises.
- Obtained board insurance for protection of our members conducting the work of the association as well as legal counsel for refinement and improvement of our board policies and bylaws.
- Have raised over $50,000 since inception in 2019
- Joined the Chamber of Commerce to enhance networking potential
-Joined BNI Master Connectors North Port Chapter to enhance networking potential
-Established and maintained social media presence to inform membership as well as and inspire donor and sponsorship opportunities, shape community perception and credibility as a competitive community non-profit worthy of substantial support.
- Secured relationships with business partners to procure donations
- Donated equipment to the North Port Police Department at member request
- We were pleased this year to garner support of corporate sponsors like Wings and Rings of North Port, Boohoff Law, Port City Pawn, Quality TV, and Modern Woodmen to create morale boosting sponsorship funded events this year at a time of grief and loss for us such as the private comedy event at Visani's.
-Established northportpoa.com website to:
We were extremely honored to be able to secure such generous community support and donations to assist the Sheriff's office in Terrebonne Parish, Houma, LA this year who were in dire need of basic supplies in their recovery period to keep order on their own neighborhoods while struggling to recover for their own families and loved ones without using membership dues funding.
If you are not already a member, please consider joining or supporting the NPPOA so we can continue to advance and enhance our association well into the future. Thank you for the trust you have placed in me to lead our association this year.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions, suggestions or other issues you would like to discuss.
Joseph Fussell, President, NPPOA